Upptime Free StatusPage Software
Uptime Monitor And Open Source Status Page System For GitHub
Monitor websites with free monitoring service and open source status page software right from GitHub repository. Powered by GitHub actions, issues, and pages.
Upptime is an open source status page system. It offers free website monitoring service as well. Upptime is powered by GitHub and uses its features for performing different operations. So, it is different from traditional status page systems because it does not require a server. Upptime uses three main features of GitHub such as Actions, Issues, and Pages. GitHub Actions is used as an uptime monitor. GitHub Issues are used for incident reports and GitHub Pages are used for the status website.
GitHub Actions allows users for scheduling workflows to automatically run every 5 minutes or so. Upptime checks the health status of the website every 5 minutes or whatever defined. GitHub Issues work as incident reports. Upttime opens a new issue in the GitHub repository when the website/endpoint goes down. The issue can be assigned to a team member and send notification using one of the configured notification channels. Upptime uses GitHub pages for rendering status website. GitHub statuspage shows users information such as website’s status, incident history, and response time graphs.
This free status page software comes with various channels for sending notifications such as Slack, Telegram, Discord, Email, and SMS. Send notification to team members either the website goes down or experiences degraded performance. Further, users can manually run triggers along with automated workflows. Moreover, this open source status page system consists of three packages including @upptime/uptime-monitor, @upptime/status-page, and @upptime/graphs.
Upptime has an excellent feature list and some of them are:
- Free uptime monitor
- GitHub Actions for monitoring websites
- Beautiful response time graphs
- Use issues for incident reports
- Scheduled maintenance
- GitHub Pages for status website
- GitHub API
- Supports various triggers
- Supports number of notification channels
Creating repository from the Upptime template
Follow the below steps for creating repository from the template.
- Open the Upptime GitHub repository by visiting: https://github.com/upptime/upptime
- Click on the “Use this template” button on the top-right.
- Enter a name for your new repository and check “Include all branches”.
- Click on “Create repository from template”
Enable GitHub Pages
Enable GitHub pages for generating static website. Follow the below steps to newly created repository.
- Navigate to repository settings page.
- Scroll to the “GitHub Pages” settings.
- Under “Source”, change “None” to gh-pages.
- In the folder dropdown, select /(root).
- Skip the “Theme Chooser” option.
- Click on “Save”
Update Configuration File
The “.upptimerc.yml” file is used as the central configuration to add endpoints/websites for monitoring and configure status website. Configuration file should look like this one.
owner: masoodanwer # GitHub username repo: upptime-test-repo # GitHub repository name sites: - name: Google url: https://www.google.com assignees: - MasoodAnwer status-website: cname: /repo name: My Status Website