RawTherapee Free Photo Editing Software
Free & Open Source Raw Image Editor Application
RawTherapee is a powerful image processing software that lets users generate raw files from many digital cameras. It is cross platform compatible as well.
As an open source, free to download, cross platform raw image editor, RawTherapee is quite a powerful software that can help users improve their digital photography. It has been released under the GNU General Public License, and is specifically aimed at raw photo post production tasks. And like most image processing software it is compatible with Windows, Mac OS and Linux.
Furthermore, RawTherapee has a supportive and helpful community that is constantly updating on bugs reported and new features. With RawTherapee there is a lot that a user can accomplish including developing high image quality files as well as High Dynamic Range DNG through modern demosaicing algorithms and a 32-bit floating point processing engine.
Not only that, RawTherapee is also available in 15 different languages, is cross platform compatible and as an open source software, allows users to tweak, modify and refine the source code as well. You can upload many raw files including 16, 24, and 32-bit raw HDR DNG images along with PNG, JPEG, and TIFF file formats as well.
While installing RawTherapee for Ubuntu make sure you have the following system requirements:
- Ubuntu 18.04
- A non-root user with sudo permissions
Some interesting and useful features of RawTherapee:
- RawTherapee is a 96-bit floating point processing image that allows for non-destructive editing of raw images without loss of details or quality.
- As an open source raw image processor, it employs many modern and traditional demoisaic algorithms including AMaZE, DCB, AHD, EAHD, IGV, VNG4, Mono, Fast and more.
- With RawTherapee you get the ability of advanced color handling that includes tweaking white balance to HSV (Hue Saturation Value), color tones and color management as well.
- There are many denoising features as well that allow you to control luminance, chrominance, noise reduction, impulse and similar attributes.
- With the use of SSE (Streaming SIMD Extensions) RawTherapee has a fast processing capabilities that makes it one of the most powerful raw image processing software. It also includes multi-threaded algorithms for optimal performance.
- You can also edit multiple images at a time through different editor tabs or apply basic image editing functions all at once on files in the file browser.
- RawTherapee allows user to save, edit or remove metadata from exported images and provides a “before and after” view of the file that has been worked upon.
- Open terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and run command to add the PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:dhor/myway
- Update the system repository
sudo apt update
- Run following commands in terminal to install RawTherapee:
sudo apt install rawtherapee
In this article we have discussed RawTherapee’s overview and features that makes it a reliable raw image editor application. To learn about other open source photo editor applications, please check following links: